Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Clements

Default Freud or CMT saw blade

Ba r r y wrote:

On 19 Mar 2006 05:08:22 -0800, "BD" wrote:

Anyone out there had much experience with either of these. I'm getting
a new combination blade and have gotten various opinions from people I
know. Its between the Freud "Cabinet Maker" and the CMT "General".
I'm trrying to stay away from Forrest because of the cost. Also I have
had several people recommend the Dewalt "Woodworker" blade. Any
thoughts?

I've had all of the above, except for the DeWalt. All of my recent
new blades have been Forrest. By shopping around and pouncing on
sales and coupons, I've never paid more than ~ $15-20 more for Forrest
blades over the others.

Past experience tells me I get what I pay for. I just bought an
second 80T Chopmaster for $80, shipped, from Amazon. That's ~$20 more
than the competition, but the quality difference is worth far more
than $20. MY last WWII was $74, shipped, also from Amazon.

FWIW, I've had Forrest sharpen my used CMT and Freud saw blades and
they came back better than new.

I buy lots of CMT router bits, though!

Barry

how much do they charge to sharpen a blade? how long will it take to get my
blade back? I like my Freud blade, but it's getting a little dull and I
hate to drop another $50 or so to get a new one if I could get it sharpend
for a reasonable price.

--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives