Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Wild Bill

Default Axle Material

For wheels that have integral bearings, almost any round stock will
work well. Some stuff that's usually available for cheap would be items
such as wheel lug wrenches/tire irons, used engine head bolts, etc.
Most hardware sections of retail stores have some steel products, and
the farm supply places generally always do. Three feet of CRS round
will make several axles if pipe is utilized to extend the width.

Axle stubs welded into sections of iron pipe will make length
requirements easy. Drill a couple of holes near the ends of the pipe,
and plug weld the stubs into place.

For wheeled bases, a broken or worn out cheap floor jack (the imported
2 ton about $30 when new, for example), can make a decent wheeled base.
Remove the lifting parts, then use pipe to extend the side plate
separators and rear axle to the desired width.
Lots of these cheap jacks are thrown away regularly.
The mobility isn't the greatest, but for some uses where a machine
doesn't need to be moved far, they're good.

WB

knowone wrote:
I am always needing to put tires on some items that I use such as large
fans, homemade generator/s, carts, etc. I have used drill-rod once in an
emergency. Other times, all-threaded rod but I know there is other material
that has to be cheaper.

What am I overlooking that is dirt-cheap, like me?

Thanks