Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default tricky finishing porblem

On 10 Mar 2006 01:28:55 -0800, wrote:

thanks for the info - i agree the spray would be the ticket. since i
havnt used it before and not readily available i decide to buff the
charred surface well to remove the excess soot - then oil the charred
surface - the light coat of oil has not gone into the recesses but this
infact helps the piece - the matt paint on the inside of the shiny
black scorched exterior works well - a couple more coats and that
should do -
i must have a go at spraying in the future - what types do you suggest
that could be picked up locally (uk)- does it prove expensive for large
pieces.

You can spray just about anything- do you have an air compressor? If
so, it's only about $80 (us) to get started with a gallon of laquer,
thinner and a medium-grade spray gun. The gun runs about $40, and
looks like a small silver pistol with a quart can screwed to the
bottom. You dillute the finish a bit with it's proper solvent, fill
the cup, and hook it to your compressor. It's actually a very cheap
way to go, and the savings is greater on larger peices. One gun can
be used for mulitple finishes, including paint.

If you're looking for aerosol spray cans, I've had very nice results
with Helmsman Spar Polyurethane and various spray laquers- though I've
never seen shellac in a can where I'm at. Spray cans can get
expensive if you're finishing a lot of things, but they're nice for
the odd smaller project.

Make sure you have proper ventilation with either method, of course.
A good chemical mask is worth investing in as well, if you don't
already have one.