Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two

Default Newbie questions: Recommendations on tools for SMT board repairs

In article , "Dave"
wrote:

After quite a few years away from electronics repair, I'm going to get back
into it as a hobby. I'm going to focus on computer and LCD monitor repair,
specifically to donate my parts and labor time to needy organizations. So
I've started gathering tools for the workbench to handle SMT board repairs.

From reading this group for the last few weeks it, here are the tools &
supplies I've seen recommended so far:

- Digital Volt Meter
- Oscilloscope with regular and high voltage probes
- ESR meter
- tweezer probes
- various jumper clip leads
- soldering station with adjustable heat
- liquid flux
- supply of thin solder wick
- solder sucker
- screw drivers, nut drivers, wire strippers, various cutters & pliers, etc

And here come the questions:
- Are there any FAQ's or lists available with suggestions of tools and
supplies needed?
- What am I missing from the list above?
- Any particular tools and brands to stay away from? I like buying good
tools.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

FWIW, I threw all the Wellers in the dumpster a while back and replaced
them with Edsyns. They are adjustable, but we almost always run them
wide open at 800. My choice for quality solder wick is Chemtronics.