Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Lathe book for the utterly clueless

"Dhakala" wrote in message
ups.com...

I want to buy a tiny lathe and some tools to set my kid up in an eBay
business. My product goal is quite modest at this time: pool cue joint
protectors. Example:

Need to be able turn round thingies about two inches long and 5/8 to
3/4" diameter; bore a hole for the screw pin dead center; and tap a
hole in another JP that matches the cue's screw pin. Common sized holes
will be 5/16 and 3/8".

I've no idea what "Swing over bed" means, and I am uncertain which end
is the headstock.

With all that in mind, what book do I need before I go shopping?

Swing over the bed is radius in Britain, diameter in USA of the largest
piece which will clear the bed. Often you will see "swing over toolrest,"
which might be important if you had a piece of such length and diameter that
it's necessary to keep the rest under the piece to be turned.

For pool cues the critical number will be the last in the lathe name ( e.g.
JET 1236 will swing 12 diameter 36 between centers.

You'll want steadies for long thin work, and perhaps a home-made long
toolrest.

You power the head, spin 'round the tailstock.

Out of print, but worth the effort - The Practical Woodturner by Frank Pain.

There's a group called rec.crafts.woodturning, and a plethora of on-line
places and forums.