Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default i beam size & Beamboy warning

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:45:26 -0600, WILLIAM HENRY

I am installing a small I beam trolley in my work shop that can lift a 1000#
max size of beam is important because of head space so I am looking for
information on length and sizing and capacity of beams

Ed

length of beam and method of supporting said beam are pretty big
factors , a four inch i beanm will carry that load if properly supported

i use a program called beam boy for sizing beams at work , it is
free-ware , just google beam-boy

Second that comment. I used beam boy to size the 27ft long beam that holds up
my workshop roof.

I just downloaded Beamboy and played with it a bit and it works very
well, as far as it goes.

But anyone using it needs to understand that while it may yield good
data on stress and deflection, that's not sufficient to insure a safe
design. The most obvious missing factor re the case at hand, a trolley
beam, is lateral stability of the beam. This is usually not an issue if
the beam is built into a structure like a roof or floor system, but is a
real concern with a beam that lacks intermediate lateral bracing.

Just a heads up to warn against getting lulled into a false sense of
security by a neat piece of software.

Ned Simmons