Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Scott Ehrlich

Default Radioshack Pro-83 white noise problem

I have had a Pro-83 since last Summer (2005) and really like it. It
usually lives in the car when I am driving, and is subject to New
England's seasons.

Over the summer, it behaved fine.

This winter, though, even though the season has been rather mild, the
radio has started to act like the squelch is open full time, with
constant white noise. The scanner function properly continues to
search for active frequencies as does the signal stalker. If the
squelch was open, the scanner and signal stalker functions would
obviously be sitting on a frequency and not move.

I've tried playing with both the squelch and volume knobs, but no
change from squelch, though the volume does help "squelch" some of the
headache I can start to develop.

This white noise problem occurs regardless of whether I use
rechargable batteries or the DC adapter, and regardless of use of the
radio in the house or in the car.

The white noise has been known to subside after some time. But I ask
readers if they have also experienced this? If so, what could be
causing it? It is NOT automobile interference because the scanner
does come into the house at times and present the same problem. It
would be difficult to believe it is squelch since the rest of the
functions behave as if the squelch _is_ working properly.

What else could I be missing? Has the radio become defective? It
was purchased new, out of the box.

Thanks for any ideas/leads/hints.

Scott