Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adam Funk

Default CD Roms Longevity

On 2006-03-18, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
jakdedert writes:

One thing i learned recently about optical disks disturbed me. I had
always taken the most care to protect the data side of the disk. I
found out that the most fragile side is actually the one with the
label. It's the one closest to the actual media. A scratch there--one
which might not even glitch a reader if it were on the other side--can
expose the metallic layer to corrosion.

Yeah, and a piece of sticky tape may pull it off entirely on CD-R/RWs!

That's why I've never used CD-labels. I used to label my CDs directly
with permanent OHP pens, but now I use specialized CD pens. (I think
the price is about the same these days.)