Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Another Electrical question

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I just have a 30' #10-3 extension cord that I run to my 220 volt tools

as
I need them.

Did you purchase it as an extension cord or did you fabricate it yourself?
Do you protect it with anything? Flexible conduit?

I'm just a little squeamish of a high voltage cord on the floor of the

shop.

Ever been to a rock concert? An outdoor event with large scale PA systems?
A carnival? Ever notice those big thick black electrical cords that
everyone is trudgin over? Tens of thousands of feet daily. Laying in mud
puddles.

Get the right stuff and your fears will be moot. You don't need the same
heavy cords that I just referenced but the point is that armor cladding is
not necessary for what you're doing. Talk to an electrician. Go to an
electrical supply house - a real one. Tell them what you're looking to do
and ask them what the properly rated insulation would be for you.

I'm sure someone here can tell you. There are some real live electricians
here and there are some hacks like me who know a few to a lot of things.
Sometimes ya takes yer chances with the advice you see here because you
don't always know who really knows what they're talking about and who is
just talking. Go to a pro and you'll stand your best chance of getting the
right scoop.

If you're squeamish I don't understand why you would ask a question like
this of a woodworking group. Squeamish is good, but why not go to the right
source and then you'll really know.

--

-Mike-