Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Rim Lock Question

wrote:

I'm planning to install the big fat Yale deadlocking rim lock and I'm
wondering whehter it would be best to replace the existing lock and
work with the mess that's presumably been made of the door over the
years in that area or just cut my losses, go 30cm further up the door
and install it totally from fresh. any pros and cons in terms of door
weakness and considerations because of it's ill fitting??

Depends. Take the existing lock off and have a look. Also, do you intend
to keep the door? If you intend to replace sometime soon a bodge to fill
the old hole would be OK.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman