Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Default Another Electrical question

You don't need to spend the money for a heavy duty extension cord. As
Rich said in his post, wiring for 220 means your tools will be drawing
half the current they do now. Even a cheap 16 gauge cord would likely
handle your bandsaw. A 14 gauge would handle your tablesaw very
easily.

More voltage = less current. That's why super-high voltage
transmission lines can supply electricity for thousands of households
and businesses with relatively skinny wires.

Josh

stoutman wrote:
As I posted in another thread I am wiring my garage for 220V for my new
bandsaw. I will eventually be buying a new table saw in the future (once
SWBO forgets about the bandsaw purchase).

I am trying to determine how I would feed the TS power from the same outlet.
Of course I will not be running the two at the same time. I'm not as think
as you stupid I am!

Could I make my own extension cord from #10 and run it through some flexible
conduit? Does the metal flexible conduit need to be grounded?

Thanks

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com