Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default i beam size

How did you determine what an "acceptable" deflection would be? Building
codes?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:45:26 -0600, WILLIAM HENRY

I am installing a small I beam trolley in my work shop that can lift a
1000#
max size of beam is important because of head space so I am looking for
information on length and sizing and capacity of beams

Ed

length of beam and method of supporting said beam are pretty big
factors , a four inch i beanm will carry that load if properly supported

i use a program called beam boy for sizing beams at work , it is
free-ware , just google beam-boy

Second that comment. I used beam boy to size the 27ft long beam that holds
up
my workshop roof.

Mark Rand
RTFM