Posted to alt.horology,rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default Unbelievable accuracy from a walmart watch

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

snip

While I have not seen the time keeping circuitry of a SUN station, I
would wager that they had a small oven for the oscillator that kept the
quartz crystal at a stable temperature.

Out of curiosity I downloaded the data sheet for the "Timekeeper RAM"
M48T59Y chip. It is quite a sophisticated device. Frequency accuracy is
better than ~20 ppm between 0 deg. C and 50 deg. C. That equates to a
maximum error of about 50 seconds per month. It also incorporates a
calibration feature through which the clock can be speeded up or slowed
down according to a 5-bit number loaded into a register. This apparently
brings the accuracy to within 2 ppm at 25 deg. C. It's a neat device. I
guess you get what you pay for - you don't find a £20 clock chip on a
£50 motherboard. Whether Sun use the calibration feature on the chip I
don't know. If anyone knows please let me know. I'm curious.

Best wishes,

Chris