Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater

Default HELP - I need advice - MOULD in BASEMENT

You could run a de-humidifier in the basement with a hose to your drain.
reducing moisture levels can slow and or stop the growth if you can get it
dry enough. Lots of mold killer on the market but bleach remains the
cheapest 1/4 cup to a gallon of water will kill just abt anything. I think 2
tablespoons to a gallon will kill aflatoxin which is a toxic mold in corn.
"HELP!!!" wrote in message
I was (and I say was) renovating my basement. I have my walls insulated
and
1 wall gyproced. I had some weak spots in my subfloor that I thought I
could patch. I started to rip up one section and realized that most if
not
all of the floor is water damaged from years ago. I just bought the house
year ago. Most of the strapping are rotted badly. I pulled up 1 - half
inch piece of underlay and noticed this weird (could be mould) crystal
type
of fuzzy looking stuff. This stuff looks like cotton candy. IS this
mould.
I am confused as to what to do. Will this problem (potential mould
removal)
be covered by our insurance. Is this extremely dangerous. The basement
is
not being used. Our washer and dryer are down there along with a deep
freeze. My wife is due with our first child on Wednesday coming up. Any
advice as to what I should do?

This MAY be confined to one small section, but am not sure. Any advice?
Should I leave it and call our insurance company so they can come over to
take a look? Shoudl I rip up the rest of the floor?

I can take a picture of this white cotton candy crystal looking stuff and
post it if required.

Please advise!!!