Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default HELP - I need advice - MOULD in BASEMENT

Sounds a lot like a slime mold which is usually harmless unless you are made
of cellulose. Does it maybe also look like foam.

The most dangerous mold is black mold which doesn't match your description.
I can't say what kind of microbe is eating your wood and if you're not
feeling poorly, it probably isn't "extremely" dangerous but might ultimately
result in an allergic response if you are sensitive.

Not all fungus is toxic, you eat (some kinds of) mushrooms don't you (well
you can if you want).

If you can fix it yourself, there is no reason to tell the insurance
company. If it is making you too sick to do it yourself, obviously you need
to call a pro and the cost may justify a claim.

Call a mold removal company for a quote and they will likely identify the
specis. Might even guess over the phone, but in my experience contractors
never guess at the cost of a job.

"HELP!!!" wrote in message
I was (and I say was) renovating my basement. I have my walls insulated
and
1 wall gyproced. I had some weak spots in my subfloor that I thought I
could patch. I started to rip up one section and realized that most if
not
all of the floor is water damaged from years ago. I just bought the house
year ago. Most of the strapping are rotted badly. I pulled up 1 - half
inch piece of underlay and noticed this weird (could be mould) crystal
type
of fuzzy looking stuff. This stuff looks like cotton candy. IS this
mould.
I am confused as to what to do. Will this problem (potential mould
removal)
be covered by our insurance. Is this extremely dangerous. The basement
is
not being used. Our washer and dryer are down there along with a deep
freeze. My wife is due with our first child on Wednesday coming up. Any
advice as to what I should do?

This MAY be confined to one small section, but am not sure. Any advice?
Should I leave it and call our insurance company so they can come over to
take a look? Shoudl I rip up the rest of the floor?

I can take a picture of this white cotton candy crystal looking stuff and
post it if required.

Please advise!!!