Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Default Another Electrical question

stoutman wrote:
As I posted in another thread I am wiring my garage for 220V for my new
bandsaw. I will eventually be buying a new table saw in the future (once
SWBO forgets about the bandsaw purchase).

I am trying to determine how I would feed the TS power from the same outlet.
Of course I will not be running the two at the same time. I'm not as think
as you stupid I am!

Could I make my own extension cord from #10 and run it through some flexible
conduit? Does the metal flexible conduit need to be grounded?

Thanks

I ran a 220v outlet (protected with a 15A breaker)to my garage from my
service panel using 10/3 romex. This supplied power to my 3 hp cabinet
saw and 15 inch planer. I purchased a 10 ga. extension cord that was
rated heavy enough to handle the 220v current and put converted the ends
to 15a. 250v plug and receptacle. My 220 line from the service panel
terminates at a single outlet about 10 feet away. I use the extension
cord then to supply the power to whichever piece of equipment I need to
use. It is absolutely essential to have an equipment ground back to
your service panel. As long as your outlet is grounded, there is no
need to run your extension cord through conduit unless you think there
is some danger of damaging the cord. I never leave my extension cord
plugged in when I leave the shop and it is never subjected to an
environment that could cause damage to it. I will say that my
installation is temporary until I get my shop built. A permanent
installation would be done differently.

Martie