Brian

Default How to grind shsrp edges of glass?

MrCheerful wrote:
Brian wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
wrote:
I'm about to make a foffee table from a sheet of glass. How does
one dull the sharp edges (without the use of expensive tools)? Oil
stone, perhaps?

Thanks

Frank

I trust it is safety glass?
You can just grind the edges with wet and dry paper, but be really
cautious of your hands. A glass shop will do the job really well,
cheaply and safely.

MrCheerful

MrCheerful,

Unfortunately you cannot cut or grind the edges of TEMPERED "safety
glass" AFTER it has been tempered.

The cutting and grinding of safety glass has to be done BEFORE
tempering as this process sets up stresses in the glass that are
"held in" by a very thin surface "skin" and once this skin is
penetrated - the glass shatters into hundreds of very small pieces.

There is an exception when using LAMINATED safety glass. This can be
cut and ground after manufacture but its use in furniture is limited
where the edge can be seen because of the plastic reinforcing
interleave which prevents the glass shattering into pieces.

Brian

I am sure you know your subject, but I have ground out damage in
tempered glass such as the side windows of cars in the past without
problems like shattering.

MrCheerful

Then I would suggest that the damage was very light and you used nothing
harsher than something like jewllers rouge - or very lucky - as once that
"skin" is penetrated, the stresses are relieved and the glass shatters as it
is designed to do.

Brian