Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Default Helmet Shade# for Low Amp TIG?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Problem solved. Got a new helmet:

And a quickie light source:
On sale for $3.99. It has a tripod mount base, so I mounted it on an old
tripod and soldered two clips to the cord end. Runs off a battery charger.
The helmet works extremely well. The OFF shade is much clearer than my
old HF #10 helmet. The infinitely adjustable 9-13 shade works perfectly,
and it comes with an extra lens shield.
Now I can see WTF is going on...
JR
Dweller in the cellar

JR North wrote:

I've been mostly tigging al; no problem w/ #10 shade HF A/D Helmet. Just
started light gauge (22) steel sheet at 30A. The arc light is so dim at
low amp I can't see the work and puddle properly. What do you guys use
here? Do you use an aux halogen light source to illuminate the work?
Need to check out the range of shade levels on some other helmets. Maybe
one that goes down to #8?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability: