Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

Default gunsmithing: which steel for blowback bolt?

Have you developed your methodology?

In my recollection, the 1927A1 bolt is a bar stock part , rectangular in
cross section with a round turned projection in the front about 2~3" long
that accomodates the ctg head at the end.

If you heat treat after machining you will be susceptible to warping,
dimensional change, and scaling of your machined surfaces.

So, are you planning on surface , slot, & cylindrical grinding after HT?

I don't believe the factory bolt was heat treated, really no need for it.
It's an unstressed part for a low pressure ctg. I also believe the extractor
is staked in place, furthering the need for metal that is suitable for
deformation.

I think any un-heat-treated steel available from 1018 to 4140 would fit the
bill.

Tony

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:36 GMT, Gunner

wrote:
On 17 Mar 2006 16:51:35 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Ah. Of the two, the carbine's is probably more relevant - I'm not
locking any lugs into anywhere, And, I have 4140, so it's a good
starting point. Thank you.

I think you would be golden with 4140

Good to hear. Any thoughts on where I should shoot for on the
hardening?

Dave