Posted to misc.consumers.house
central_scrutinizer

Default Shower doors

I was wondering if anyone knows a good manufacturer/vendor of shower
doors. This is more for future reference, or advice that I can give to
anyone asking about my remodelling project.

I recently had Holcam "Eurolite" shower doors manufactured for my
bathroom. They're much like a Mercedes. Very expensive ($1100!!!!),
look great, but they have many problems. For one thing, the fixed panel
was chipped at the factory. My contractor examined the packaging, and
no glass chip could be found in the foam or packaging. They must have
chipped the glass at the factory, and not noticed it (or maybe they
did), and sent it anyway. Yes, I'm sure they would take it back and
send me another one, but one has to consider labor... Is it worth $280
to have my workers take it back to the reseller, wait another 4 weeks,
and then install it? It takes 2 people to carry each panel. What if
they send me another chipped one? This could go on and on...

So I decided to live with the small chip in the glass, even though, at
$1100, these should be perfect. But I can't wait another 4 weeks, and I
don't want to pay more money for labor.

So this morning, I took a very short shower (didn't wash my hair, so it
was 5 minutes). When I opened the door, to my horror, there was a huge
puddle on my new floor. It looked like a 1/2 liter bottle of water had
completely spilled on the floor. I measured the gap between the panel
and the door, and it's only 1/52", which is what Holcam says there will
be, if it is installed properly. The gap acts like a channel -- it
channels water down on to the floor. There has to be a gap, since the
door and fixed panel cannot touch or scrape each other.

So, for $1100, I have a somewhat nice looking shower door (with a chip
in the corner) that doesn't keep the water out.

The doors were installed properly. In fact, I was amazed at how level
and straight everything is, considering that my shower is tiled with
natural stone, which is quite irregular. Nontheless, everything was
installed within the tolerances specified by Holcam.

Anyone know a vendor of shower doors that is competant?

I wish I had just stuck with the $20 shower curtain setup from Target.
Not as "nice" looking, but it worked. Nothing easier to clean either --
after 6-9 months, you get a new shower curtain. The main thing -- it
kept out the water!

I would strongly dissuade anyone thinking of getting Holcam shower
doors... Unless you like spending a lot of money on inferior quality
products that don't work properly.