Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default A frugal bathroom fungi removal?

"casioculture" wrote:

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

"Tock" wrote in message
om...
Vinegar is supposed to work pretty well, too. Just don't mix bleach with
vinegar, or you could generate some unpleasant after-effects . . .

It's cheap, too, so you could get a gallon jug, spray some on after each
shower, and see what happens.

i thought that was ammonia and bleach.

I researched this stuff over the past couple of days. Mixing vinegar
and bleach is dangerous, it produces chlorine fumes, which are toxic.

"Acids with bleach. Generates highly toxic chlorine gas."

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/toxicc.../aa603003a.htm

The last one is worrying

"Hydrogen peroxide/acetic acid mixtures. May explode upon heating."

Vinegar is essentially acetic acid.

So, guys, I need your advice on this. I so far have chlorine bleach,
and I found some washing soda in the store yesterday and got it. I
didn't find white distilled/spirit vinegar (the one I found had ammonia
caramel colourant in it) so I'm going to another supermarket to look
for it tonight. I'll also look for some oxygen bleach.

Now, I want to kill this stuff as sure as I can. I therefore want to
apply as many substances as reasonable, as many times as reasonable.
What should I start with? then what?

I know that vinegar neutralises bleach, and that bleach and vinegar
produce chlorine fumes.

I have two things to deal with; 1. bathroom tiles and surfaces. 2.
wallpaper on cement.

Bathroom tiles and surfaces should be easy to deal with; saturate with
the substance and then rinse or wipe. It's the wallpaper that I'm not
sure what to do with. I know that I want to remove it all, and I
already have a steamer that'll do the job eventually, and then I'll
paint the room(s).

I'm thinking of perhaps saturating the wallpaper with washing soda
first. Then saturating them with vinegar (wait, perhaps I can just use
the one with the food colourant in it, since I'm removing it anyway).
Can I, if need be, after a few days, apply some bleach? Would it be a
danger? do you think I wouldn't need to anyway? perhaps I can use
oxygen bleach instead? perhaps I can forget about the washing soda and
vinegar and just apply bleach from the start?

What do you guys think?

I think you've been watching too much "Monk."

1. If the wallpaper is on gypsum board, you don't want to soak.

2. Even if you remove every single mold spore, there will be more that
get blown into the room.