Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default gunsmithing: which steel for blowback bolt?

On 17 Mar 2006 01:14:37 -0800, redice wrote:
Ask on the gunbroker.com forums lots of gunsmiths post there including
me and somone would surely know. Theres probably quite a few choices
for what you could use as for hardness I don't know off hand I could
probably find out but it would take time, which I currently don't have.

I'll take a look over there, thanks.

P.S. have you thought about just buying a new bolt? Would probably be
cheeper time wise in the longrun.

Well, cheaper isn't the point. It's a fairly complex part, and I'd
like to test my skills by making one. By using something that's easy to
test, I can spend some quality shop time and make something useful in
the process. The finish quality on the Kahr manufactured bolts is not
very good, and I'm hoping to improve on that as well.

Thanks,
Dave