chem

Default First project pics and a couple of questions

Ok, I guess I'm not making sense yet. I understand that things that are
malleable aren't necessarily ductile. I can get that part. That's
pretty clear to me.

What I really want to know now: Are all ductile metals malleable as
well, and if not, why?

chem

Gary Coffman wrote:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:32:55 -0300, chem wrote:

I'm still muddy on the ductility vs. malleability thing. If something
could be stretched out, I just don't see why it couldn't be rolled out
too, although I can see why it woudn't necessarily work the other way.
Maybe I'll have to just be happy with the textbook definitions for now
and sometime down the road I'll really understand it. Oh, wait...
Are most metals that are ductile malleable as well? Because that would
make it easier to understand...

Consider a lead bar. You can beat it into just about any shape you
want, so it is malleable. But try to draw it out into wire, it'll break.
(Lead wire is generally extruded instead of drawn.)

Gary

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl