Posted to alt.home.repair
proudpapa

Default Plumbing for a water softener

I installed a water softener / iron filter in a dry basement (no sump
crock). When I installed it, I was not aware that I needed to run a
line to a drain for the backflushing of the unit. Challenge: I don't
have a drain.

I read in the instructions (horrible, they were) that I needed to be
careful in where I run this in relation to the sewer line... concerns
with bacteria, but don't recall the specifics.

My thought is to create an above ground crock and sump, punch a hole
through the basement wall and then pump this water from this crock out
of the house. Is this a bad idea? Is there a better way to do this?
How much water can I expect to backflush?

Lots of questions... sorry. Thanks for concsidering responding.

R Thatcher