Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

Default Determining cable tv/internet signal levels

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

Bill writes good stuff. I'll just add that Comcast is very responsive to the
these issues and you should first try their technical support. Has always
worked for me and at no extra charge.

I agree. When I first got Comcast internet service, I had intermittent
service... slow login, sometimes unable to login, disconnects, etc. I called
Comcast and the tech they sent out fixed the problem on the first visit.
The original installer had run an extension to my computer from the back of my
main TV, where the cable was split to the rest of the house. The run from the
pole to my TV set is probably 175 - 200 feet when all the turns and bends are
accounted for. The tech looked at the signal levels, put a splitter in the line
at a point closest to my computer, and ran a separate line to my computer. He
said that increased the signal at my computer by about 3db. Haven't had a
problem since (except for when hurricanes knocked it out for over 2 weeks).
In retrospect, I probably need to replace all of the RG59 in my house.. it's
about 25 yrs old by now {:)

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the