Gary Coffman

Default Help a newbie out?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:30:50 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
I wouldn't go overboard on size, especially on the lathe, for large machines
don't do a good job on small parts, but small machines have a difficult time
with average sized work, even if you can get the part in the machine. For
example, you wouldn't want to buy a 17" lathe to make ½" diameter parts, for
which you would need much higher spindle speeds. My personal choice were I
in your position would be a lathe around 12", but with "modern" speeds.
Old machines tend towards slow spindle speeds.

If he's going to buy new, 14x40 seems to be the standard size, and is certainly
the best value for the dollar with imported machines. But an older US12x36
would certainly be acceptable, or even a 10x24. I wouldn't go smaller than that
though.

Gary