Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default brand new to metalworking

Very good day,

I am the new owner of a tree 2uvrc, and this is my first piece of
metalworking equipment. I intend to use this in my factory, where we
produce textile products. I have purchased hundreds of industrial
sewing machines from factories that have gone out of business around
us, and intend on modifying these machines for custom styles of
stitching. A lot of these machines are solid cast iron made anywhere
form the early 1920's up until about the 1960's. Please direct me
to where I can find additional information on working with cast iron.

I have been lurking here for about 6 months and want to thank you all
for the information that you provide. One foreseeable problem that I
will have is working with very irregular cast iron shapes that might
not fit easily into a vise. Please let me know if there is any
information. Here are some images of the shapes I will need to work
with, many of the mods deal directly with the main castings.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image1.htm

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...es/image54.htm

Please also let me know where in the north west area I can purchase
small amounts of stock to get me started.

Jason