Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Combi boiler - condensing - or not?

CharlieR wrote:

Hi - I'm new to this forum but would appreciate some helpful advice.
I live in a flat and am having the kitchen refitted, which means moving
or replacing our existing boiler (Alpha Ocean Style FF - about 12 yrs
old).
I'm told that if we replace it we have to have a condensing boiler (new
building regs), but I understand that there are problems with the plume
from this type of boiler as we have a balcony roof above where the flue
would exit, and it's close to a door and a window.

Limitations on proximity to doors and windows are not that different to
existing boilers. There are some issues with distances to neighbouring
properties though since some folks may find the plume objectionable.

What you have been told is correct basically - in that in order to meet
the energy efficiency requirements of the building regulations, you will
need a condensing boiler.

However there are exemptions allowed in certain circumstances. You can
find out if these apply to you by reading this:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pub/731/Guide..._id1130731.pdf
http://tinyurl.com/p6n3v

The cheaper option is to just move the Alpha, but I'm worried this may
affect it (cause leaks).

Moving it would count the same as installing - so unless you are
prepared to do it yourself (or can find a CORGI who is prepared to
ignore the regs) then you would be back to requiring the exemption as
above.

Or can we get a new non-condensing boiler
fitted?

See above.

I've spoken to 4 different heating companies (incl BG) and have had
different comments and advice from each.
Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Hardly surprising - the regulations in this area are a bit of a pigs
breakfast.

--
Cheers,

John.