Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Help a newbie out?

Brad Brigade wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:02:31 GMT, (Gary Coffman)
wrote:

very big snip--------
And as for the mill. Grizzly and Harbor Freight have a mill too. Any
comments on those?

I'm hoping to spend about $2000 on a lathe, mill, and tools.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I really, really, reeeeeeally
appreciate it...

Judging from your updated description, I would suggest that it would be a
mistake for you to buy small machines. I strongly encourage you to buy a
knee type mill and an engine lathe, quick change equipped if possible, no
smaller than a 9", with at least 20" between centers, more if possible.
Otherwise, once you have the machines, you'll kick yourself almost daily
because they won't do the size work you want to do.

I wouldn't go overboard on size, especially on the lathe, for large machines
don't do a good job on small parts, but small machines have a difficult time
with average sized work, even if you can get the part in the machine. For
example, you wouldn't want to buy a 17" lathe to make ½" diameter parts, for
which you would need much higher spindle speeds. My personal choice were I
in your position would be a lathe around 12", but with "modern" speeds.
Old machines tend towards slow spindle speeds.

Good luck, sounds like you have some great projects in mind.

Harold