Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making long boards out of short

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Is there any practical way of doing this? I have 160± pieces of 1"x6"x42"
boards. Hem fir.
Is finger jointing possible in the home shop. Willing to pay for some
tooling. Could a commercial place 'fingerjoint' this for me for a price
that would be less than buying equivalent amount of lumber. BTW, I live in
the Northwest, we have some lumber mills nearby.

There are fingerjoint router bits sold for just this purpose.

That's a good size, but not a good wood, for fence pickets.

It seems they'd also be good for some 20" x 20" x 40" six
board blanket boxes, toy chests etc. They'd use about 20
boards each with very little left over. With Careful resawing
and planing you could get two 1/4" boards from each and
use them for drawer sides.

I had thought softwood too soft for drawers and runners but
recently re-finished my Mother's pine nightstand. 60 +
years old, been chewed on by dogs and run over a few
times by my Dad on his scooter and still sturdy as hell,
as is the nightstand.

--

FF