Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default Question about car engine horsepower rating

wrote in message
oups.com...
" Then again, racing engines have things like sodium filled valve stems
and such to manage the localized heat around the combustion chamber "

Yes, it would be possible to have local regions overheat while the
coolant was within OK limits.

I had a toyota celica where the limit was defined by the red-hot
exhaust boiling the fluid in the brake lines, but that's a different
story...

Dave

I hope you moved the brake lines. My wife had the master brake cylinder
split which covered the exhaust with brake fluid which ignited and turned
the entire car from the windshield to the front bumper into a Crispy
Critter. She was on a back road going very slowly in traffic so was able to
roll off the road and get out without any problems. And since that Audi was
the most unreliable piece of crap I ever owned I wasn't unhappy. Insurance
adjuster took one look at the car, checked the VIN and was done.

Steve.