jim rozen

Default Further advice on scraping...

In article , Eric R Snow says...

I have been trying, with a carbide scraper, to scrape a little. I have
read that book about machine tool rebuilding by Connely. But it seems
to take a lot of force. I do have bad wrists so maybe it is not as
hard as I think. I have looked at one page about scraping that has
been posted several times here but it doesn't tell me enough. Could be
that I'm just dense. Anyway, can either of you point me to a place for
some better info? I did try to order that video and book from Michael
but he was never able to respond I guess.

That's a shame. Most of the practical advice for this,
I got from Michael's book. I purchased the connely book
quite a while ago, but IMO it does not give much real
information on the very basic aspects of hand scraping,
like how to sharpen the tool or how to use it. The
sort of things that one would learn as an apprentice,
for example. The connely book is great at the higher
order stuff, like how to re-work an entire milling
machine, what to do in what sequence and so on. But
not, 'this is how you make a piece of cast iron flat,
starting with a dull scraper, a tube of prussian blue,
a surface plate, and some un-flat cast iron.'

Is he really out of the business of supplying those books
and videos?

Jim

please reply to: