Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Watts water pressure regulator leaking -- repair, replace, orjust clean?

John Sevinsky wrote:
I have a Watts 25AUB 1" water pressure regulator that seems to be
leaking internally. As long as there is *some* water flowing somewhere
(even a bathroom sink that's just dripping), the pressure in the
house's pipes is around 60 PSI. However, if you shut off all the
water, the pressure builds up to the street pressure of 130 PSI within
a few minutes. Then you get a blast of water when you first turn on a
faucet until the pressure goes back down to 60.

Are these pressure regulators known for needing regular cleanings?
(It's six years old.) Should I invest in a repair kit or a whole new
regulator?

Thanks,
John

Usually they will go much longer than that without service.
You may have stuff in the water that is building up.
I would take apart and see what a good cleaning does.

If that model has an internal "bypass" check valve,
that could be leaking, rather than the main valve.

Jim