Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Good Drain Cleaners

"cover" wrote in message
I have a couple of drain applications where I'd like to find some
ongoing maintenance treatments for so thought I'd post here to see if
anyone knew of any good solutions.

Application one - I have 2 bathrooms in my home with back to back
sinks where the drains come together and then 90 degree down towards
the sewer. This 90* turn has troubled me on more than one occasion so
I'd LOVE to find the magic "place coffee grounds down that drain once
a month for a lifetime of happiness" solution. :-)

Application two - I have a washing machine drain on the other end of
the house (50yo house) that 'seems' to tend to close up due to the
soap build up where I'm either putting acid in the drain for the trap
or running an auger through there every couple of months in a home of
6. Again, the miracle cure that has worked for others wear drain
buildup is concern would be greatly appreciated.

So... Does anyone know of any more environmentally/user friendly
solutions for keeping drains clear? I 'hate' using commercial drain
cleaners and drains can be such a hassle for homeowners at times as
anyone who's had the pleasure of working on them knows... TIA

I assume you're using powdered laundry detergent. Stop doing that. Or, if
you can't stop for some silly reason, try a suggestion someone else posted
here once: A gallon of ammonia poured into the drain, followed a while later
by flushing with the hottest water you can get from the tap.

For the bathroom, good luck. I have the same problem. Perhaps someone needs
to stop washing hair down the drain. I minimized the problem by putting a
better screen in my tub drain, but that would be cumbersome in sinks.