Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Default Electrical question -- SJ cord

Andy replies to Keith:

I suspect that since it is used on a lake, and is
often used to run power out to a dock for temporary
lights and stuff, they don't want it to fall into the
water and kill the fish.... Otherwise, people would be
splicing ROMEX together with wire nuts and electrocuting
themselves and the wildlife. Also, sometimes it floods
slightly and stuff laying along the ground at lakeside
will be under water......
A lot of regulations are just made arbitrary so that
owner-rigged stuff that is dangerous can be legally
removed.....
I don't disagree with the regulation -- it doesn't seem
to be restrictive to me, or overly arbitrary......
Like having to stop at a stop sign even when you
don't see anybody coming ------- It's probably saved
some lives or wildlife...
Remember, I live in an unincorporated area where there
are NO building inspections. The water district decided there
needed to be SOME control over electrical installations on
boathouses and stuff, so they did the best they could, keeping
it very simple so there would be no misinterpretation.....

That's the best reason I can come up with......

Thanks again for all the info,
Andy