Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Motorized Lathe Tool?

Somehow the thought of something with any mass at all
turning at 20K-30K and even a LITTLE bit off center
scares the bejeesus out of me. And should the bit catch
for any reason it'd be Twist and Shout Time, to say
nothing of Run and HIde, Duck and Pray or, worse yet
Bleed and Die.

If you think a turning catch is disconcerting, try
a catch in a climb cut - on a router table even. I
was routing a dado in the underside of a beech
2x2 and needed to widen it just a skosh. Accidentally
created a climb cut. The part came out from under
the rubber bottomed hold down push pads in a
nano second, left the table at Mach I, flew through
a doorway 10 feet away and was stopped by a leg
of my assembly bench eight feet on the other side
of that doorway.

Look into Arbortec or Proxxon - with variable speed.
Or check out Legacy mills.

OH - DO NOT put a wisk in a router to whip whipping
cream faster. When you get back from the
emergency room you'll still have a kitchen to
clean up - ceiling included. (google Walt Akers
AND tales)

charlie b