Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

Default OT-- Any of you guys using a "man purse"?

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 15:52:01 -0800, the renowned "CanopyCo"
wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.
--
Cliff

There is no pocket on my jeans that will be harder to get into then my
leather pouch with a fastened flap wore on the front of my belt next to
my buckle.

No one touches that area of me and is not noticed immediately.
Not that I allow anyone that close to me anyway.
I don't do pressing crowds.

They can create that situation with accomplices. It's very hard to
avoid once you're in a potential crush situation and once you've been
targeted.

True, but my normal aversion to being in a tight crowd where anyone can
touch me also tends to make me highly aware of anyone touching me
anyplace where my valuables are located.

Kind of like at ATMs and urinals.
I don't like being crowded when I have my valuables out of my pants.
;-)

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

Most recent attempt at pick pocketing me, a comely female accomplice
attempted to distract on the left side, while this well dressed little
weasel tried to pick my right pants pocket (slacks, so he had a
chance). You should have seen him take off when I caught him..

Been there.
The weasel did not actually get the chance to go for me, as I kept
getting distracted from the babe by him getting into my "zone".

Still don't know if he was up to no good, but that is what it looked
like to me later after I had time to think about it.

Also had a guy jump out of the bushes at me once.
It was dark, and I was walking across a campus.
I rounded a corner in my usual way (hugging the outside of the walk,
furthest form the potential hiding places) when this kid jumps out of
the bushes at me.

Startled me completely.
For every step he made toward me, I made a step back.
I am 6'3" tall and 220 lb and hike for fun.
My step is 3' long when I am moving, and when startled, I am moving.

We did 3 steps, stopped and he looked at me for a moment.
I am standing there looking at this 140 lb 5'6" kid thinking "what the
hell???" and he just turned around and ran off with me still standing
there thinking "what the hell just happened???".

Still don't actually know what was up, sense he had no weapon that I
could see.
He could have been waiting to startle some of his friends and just
mistook me for them or something.

Just don't know.