Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:41:48 -0800, Jim McGill
wrote:

Need some demolition advice. Neighbor burned out his Dewalt cordless
(don't know how, but it's toast) so I thought I'd salvage the finger
chuck. It's all held together with Torx screws, but I've got the right
bits. The problem is once you get the case off, the drill was clearly
built from back to front. So how is the chuck held on? I can see a hex
shaped socket in the base of the chuck, but I totally wasted an Allen
key trying to undo it. Did they swage it in after tightening? Whatever,
how should I separate the chuck from the dead gearbox and motor?

Aside from the Left-Hand Thread chuck lock screw issue that's
already been trampled to death, you can get all the internal parts to
repair the drill at a reasonable price from DeWalt - it's the repair
labor that kills if you have them repair it. They are well designed
so you can fix them yourself with minimum fuss.

I've beaten the hell out of an 18-Volt 4-Pack system for about 15
years, and the only expenses have been batteries, rubber feet for the
DW-911 radio, a motor for the drill (melted the brush-holders) and one
trigger for the drill.

When you consider that I'm swinging 1" and 1-1/4" Selfeed and Auger
bits and 5/8" x 72" bell-hanger bits with a cordless drill, that ain't
too bad...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545