Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Help - septic tank ( or not?)

howardsend wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

A cess pool / pit requires *emptying* - it is merely a storage container
for the effluent. This might be as often as every 4 weeks depending on the
size of the pit and the amount of effluent produced by the household.

A cess pit which does not need emptying is leaking, and illegal.

Owain

I am leaving my septic tank - since it is obviously functioning as that ,
whatever its construction for a short time to see how it goes now.

I am fairly certain by backed up drains were due to a blockage in the drains
. I am being informed now that a certain toilet paper may have not been a
good choice and it ( and the crap behind it) could have caused problems.

I have a couple ofd weeks leave next week and might investigate more then.

I have doen a little research ( from neighbourhood memory). Many locals
tell me we have the kind of septic tank that "lasts forever" and " doesnt
need pumping"..... ??

Meanwhile on the abolve note, are those old seepage tanks ( apparently in
the 1930's they built a lot of them in the stix) which are basically a
cesspit with land drains running the water off still legal.

I do not have one, mine is definately two chambers, but I have heard of a
house which does.
They dont have theirs pumped either.

Even your current septic tank is probably not legal for a *new* build.

Things have tightened up a lot in the **** tank area.

most BCO's say 'klargester' and leave you to sort it out these days.