Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Shower 9.5 kW on a 40 A fuse

On 15 Mar 2006 16:09:52 -0800 someone who may be "pat"
wrote this:-

What sort of fuses are they?

I don't know how to answer that. What types are they? They are just
larger versions of the types you get in a fused plug.

Then they are cartridge fuses to BS 1361. This will be written on
the fuse itself.

You will probably be able to re-use the carrier as 40 and 45A cartridge
fuses are the same size.

If I upgrade the fuse from 40 to 45 amps, isn't that putting the cable
at risk?

That is why I asked you the questions I did.

Note that I have been running a 9.5 kW shower on a 40 A fuse
for the last two years. Surely that means it is fine?

What it means is that the fuse may eventually get tired of being
abused and operate.

I can't see any part of the cable and I do not know its size or its
route. The consumer unit is at the front door and the shower is in the
centre upstairs. The cable is probably 5 to 10 metres long.

There is no easy answer to this that doesn't involve a little bit of
effort on your part. Nobody else can see your installation. You
should be able to see the cable at the consumer unit or shower ends.
How big is it?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh