Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

Default Irish plumbing

"al" wrote in message
news

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Chris Cowley wrote:
The page http://www.clubi.ie/plumbing-heating/gripes.htm states:-

"PTFE joint tape in the thread of compression fittings is a common
sign of uninformed DIY."

Where exactly is one supposed to put PTFE tape if not on the thread of
compression fittings?

A bloke I know swears by putting PTFE around the olives before tightening
the compression fitting. Seems to work.

But so does cleaning the pipes and olives and not using *anything* else
(which I always do and have never had one leak). Why add something that
isn't required on the basis it "seems to work"

A bit of normal threadlock on the threads - as much to stop it
seizing/binding as to stop water. The olive seal is what counts for
stopping water, not the thread.

True but why put anything on the threads, I have never had one bind or seize
if you clean everything and add nothing.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)