Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Hardwood flooring questions

"planzz" wrote in message
There is 2 ¼ inch red oak flooring throughout the rest of the house.
When I tore up the linoleum in the kitchen I found a layer of tarpaper
that has bonded to some wood flooring that is 3 ¼ inches wide. I
expected the wood to be 2 ¼ as it is throughout the rest of the house.

The rest of the house is hardwood over some sort of sub-floor, possibly the
same wide board you just found.

I am hoping this
wood is oak. Does anyone know why the builders would have installed a
wider floor in the kitchen area?

I doubt it is oak. In 1947 it was common to put linoleum in the kitchen,
not hardwood. What you have is a sub-floor. No, I'd not try refinishing
it, put a finished floor on top as it was intended.

There is no reason at all that the wood in the kitchen must match the rest
of hte oak in the house. Personal taste is what matters, If it was my
house, I'd put a different species, possibly a wide board in the kitchen.
But that is me so do as you please. There are many varieties of beautiful
floors. Take a look at some available he
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/flooring/display.html