Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

Default Electrical question -- SJ cord

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:48:09 -0600, Bud-- wrote:

Keith Williams wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Andy asks:

One of the local electrical codes where I live is that all outdoor
extension cords have to be type SJ.

I have noticed that there are several types of cords that start
with SJ , such as SJTW, SJOO , etc.

Yes; 'S' = "Stranded wire" with rubber insulation, 'J' is for
"Junior" (300 vs. 600V), 'O' for "oil resistance", etc.

http://www.systemconnection.com/down..._cord_glossary.
pdf

My question is, " As long as the cord type has "SJ" in the
designation, do they ALL satisfy the code requirement for SJ cord ?? "

It seems silly to specify 'SJ', rather than some sort of weather
rating (SW, perhaps and 'S' is superior to 'SJ'). Rubber isn't the
only material that makes decent exterior cable either. Maybe
someone writing the local codes doesn't know what they're
specifying?

S is "service" - virtually all cords are stranded.

According to what I've read (and implied by the link I gave),
service == stranded.

Many of the Sxx cords have a heavier jacket (as you said) than SJxx and
should be acceptable in any reasonable code. (Some do not - SPx, SVx and
others)
STxx and SJTxx are thermoplastic.

Any SJxx should be acceptable - including SJTxx [as should heavy jacket
Sxx]

I presume the code wants a level of ruggedness for exterior extension
cords - excluding the typical interior SPx "zip" cords. It also excludes
heavy duty flat cords, often yellow, which are common and IMHO heavier
duty than SJ.

I see the real problem with this sort of code is that rubber isn't all
that great when exposed to UV light. There are many better alternatives.
Sxxx is nice stuff, but expensive and not necessarily the best for outdoor
extension cords. ...not to mention that black isn't the best color for
such things. I'd think orange and yellow would be much better. Again, I
suspect the person who wrote this *local* code didn't think it through.

--
Keith