Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default ATX power supply question

Charlie Bress wrote:
I am working on an older HP Pavilion Model 6830.
The first complaint is that it would not turn on. I pressed the on switch
several times and it fired up.
Now it will not shut down. Even pulling out the line cord doesn't reset it.
Plug the cord back in and it is still on. The p/s is an ATX-105.

There is nothing else attached. No keyboard, no monitor. I am just going by
the sound of the fan and front panel LED.

The power on switch goes to the mobo through a connector. Unplugging this
connector and testing the switch it tests good for continuity. It is a
momentary contact switch which tells me that there is latch someplace. Is
this latch somewhere on the mobo or is it in the p/s itself?

Advice please.

Charlie

I've seen this problem a few times caused by bad electrolytic capacitors
in the power supply. Often the PSU is just replaced though, unless it's
a high end one it probably isn't really worth fixing unless you just
want the challenge.