Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default (sorta) gloat

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:27:58 -0000, "jamesy" wrote:

You gave him a choice to accept it as a gift or to pay the Meijers price.
What a miserable SOB.

Why couldn't you just say to the guy, I'd like to make it a gift to you,
instead of putting him on the spot.

You then have the gall to gloat that he gave you more than the retail price.
Sounds as though your motive was monetary all the while & that you were
hoping against hope that he would choose to pay.

jamesy.

Geez, Jamesy- You get up on the wrong side of the bed? As far as I
can tell, it's just an alternate version of the standard Midwest money
game. (That's where you help someone out not expecting any
recompense, they give you money, you give it back, this happens a
couple of times until one of you gives up- weird, but it's the way
things are done here; your area may differ.) It's not a motive issue,
just local custom and it's always nice to get something in return for
your time and materials- offering it for free is a nice gesture, and
that Meijer's joint looks like a Wal-Mart from what I could tell on
their website, so it looks like he offered a low price anyhow.

Just my 2 cents