Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default any timber experts here?

Locutus wrote:
I've purchased some acreage to build a house on, and where the house is
going to be built it is mostly woods. The trees are mostly maple, birch and
oak. Probably 30-40 trees will need to come down, most of them are 1-2'
wide, a few larger.

Do these trees have any value? I'm not interested in "making money" off of
these tree per se, but anything to help offset the cost to have them removed
would obviously be helpful to me. Anyone have any idea how much I can
expect to pay to have these trees removed? Should I have the stumps dozed
out or ground down?

Comments/Suggestions/Advice appreciated.

Have you considered having a mobile sawyer come to your property and
using the resulting timbers/lumber in your new house? Not sure what
time frame you're working on, so drying may be an issue, but it sounds
like you have a good bit of wood to play with.

Have the stumps removed when the foundation is excavated.