Posted to rec.woodworking
AndrewV

Default any timber experts here?

"Locutus" wrote in message
I've purchased some acreage to build a house on, and where the house is
going to be built it is mostly woods. The trees are mostly maple, birch
and oak. Probably 30-40 trees will need to come down, most of them are
1-2' wide, a few larger.

Do these trees have any value? I'm not interested in "making money" off of
these tree per se, but anything to help offset the cost to have them
removed would obviously be helpful to me. Anyone have any idea how much I
can expect to pay to have these trees removed? Should I have the stumps
dozed out or ground down?

Comments/Suggestions/Advice appreciated.

Call your local county ag office or extension agent or state dept of
environment and ask about getting a forester to come & look. Some places
have them on the Municipal payroll and they will come and look for free/
nominal cost. from your description you might have something of value. If
the logs have value a logger will pay you a cut to remove them (50/50 -
trucking) or you could have a portable mill come in and make usable lumber
out of some of it, you have several options. I would have the stumps dozed
out.

YMMV

Andrew