Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

Default Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill

The manual describes how to remove the chuck. You can download it off
Dewalt's web page. If I remember correctly, it says to insert the allen key
so that it is seated in the socket, tighten the chuck, then hit it with a
hammer (ie. hit the exposed part of the allen key that is perpendicular to
the shaft as if to make it spin).

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
Hi all

Need some demolition advice. Neighbor burned out his Dewalt cordless
(don't know how, but it's toast) so I thought I'd salvage the finger
chuck. It's all held together with Torx screws, but I've got the right
bits. The problem is once you get the case off, the drill was clearly
built from back to front. So how is the chuck held on? I can see a hex
shaped socket in the base of the chuck, but I totally wasted an Allen key
trying to undo it. Did they swage it in after tightening? Whatever, how
should I separate the chuck from the dead gearbox and motor?

Jim