Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default Electrical question -- SJ cord

Keith Williams wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Andy asks:

One of the local electrical codes where I live is that all outdoor
extension cords have to be type SJ.

I have noticed that there are several types of cords that start
with SJ , such as SJTW, SJOO , etc.

Yes; 'S' = "Stranded wire" with rubber insulation, 'J' is for
"Junior" (300 vs. 600V), 'O' for "oil resistance", etc.

http://www.systemconnection.com/down..._cord_glossary.
pdf

My question is, " As long as the cord type has "SJ" in the
designation, do they ALL satisfy the code requirement for SJ cord ?? "

It seems silly to specify 'SJ', rather than some sort of weather
rating (SW, perhaps and 'S' is superior to 'SJ'). Rubber isn't the
only material that makes decent exterior cable either. Maybe
someone writing the local codes doesn't know what they're
specifying?

Yeabut, just try to put a connector on the end of S cord. I bought some
STO cord once to make a heavy-duty extension cord. I called ahead and
had them cut it for me because it was close to quittin' time. The stuff
was huge and I had a terrible time finding ends that would fit it.

Bob