Posted to alt.home.repair
readandpostrosie

Default fireplace damper set to not close

we had a fire in our (LENNOX woodburning insert) fireplace.
the flue was open, or so we thought!

the house filled with smoke! (no glass doors at the time)

i called the installation guy, and was told that the LENNOX inserts were
having trouble with the flue only opening about 45degrees.
this COULD HAVE been a disaster.
they tell me that LENNOX has been notified, but has not responded.
in the meantime, my fireplace guy knew exactly how to fix the problem and we
have smoke free fires now.

--
..
..

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
I put a gas log (propane) in my fireplace in Arizona and the kit came

with
the clamp to prevent the damper closing. Was supposed to be a
requirement for gas logs...at least for propane. But my clamp only
required a very small opening when closed. Maybe they put the clamp on
backward or something. Reminds me of the time I started a wood fire in
the fireplace for my wife to enjoy while lying on the couch, her leg in a
cast from a car accident. I left for work but forgot to open the damper.
Lucky for her, my aunt only lived a few houses away and was able to run
down and open the damper. I still hear about my attempt to asphyxiate
her, 30 years later.
Tom G.

ROFL. nice one.

--
Thank you,

man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes
9:16